Unless otherwise noted, the Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists (CSHP) does not endorse or imply endorsement of the resources provided here.
These resources are provided without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. It is the responsibility of the user of the resource to judge its suitability for his or her particular purpose within the context of his or her practice and the applicable legislative framework. In no event shall CSHP or any persons involved in providing the resource be liable for damages arising from its use.
Resources are free unless otherwise indicated.
Websites and Apps
- Learn about Medications. Island Health (2019). Access videos designed for patients to help them understand how and when to take the medications. The 6 videos cover these medications: ACE Inhibitors, ARBS, Beta Blockers, DOACs, Statins, and Warfarin.
- Hypertension Canada
- Turgeon RD, Anderson TJ, Grégoire J, Pearson GJ. Updated guidelines for the management of dyslipidemia and prevention of cardiovascular disease by pharmacists.Can Pharm J. 2015; 148(1)
- Canadian Cardiovascular Society Pocket Guides. Possible to order free printed pocket guides with certain restrictions. See Website for details.
- CredibleMeds website and app. Offers information pertaining to QT prolongation as it relates to medications.
Shared Decision Support Tools
- The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute provides access to Healthwise decision aids for medication use in atrial fibrillation.
- Mayo Clinic Cardiovascular Primary Prevention Choice.
- Patient information article: "Angina treatment: Stents, drugs, lifestyle changes - what's best?" from the Mayo Clinic.
- Patient information article: "'ACE Inhibitors' and 'ARBs' To Protect Your Heart?"
- ASA for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease
- Cardiovascular Risk Tool
- Patient information article: "Statin side effects: Weigh the benefits and risks?" from the Mayo Clinic.
- Statins for cardiovascular disease. uLaval.
- Patient information article: "Statins: Are these cholesterol-lowering drugs right for you?" from the Mayo Clinic.
- Ischemic heart disease (single artery) treatment - Option Grid
- Acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. uLaval.
Hospital Pharmacy Success Stories from Across Canada
- Clinical Practice Standards for a Heart Failure
Regina General Hospital, Regina Qu’Appelle Health Region, SK. Saskatchewan Branch Success Story WINNER 2012
- Home Inotrope Program for Patients with End-Stage Heart Failure Awaiting Heart Transplant
Providence Health Centre, Vancouver, BC Success Story Competition 2012
- Evaluation of In-Hospital and Post-Discharge Utilization of Preventative Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy in Patients Who Have Undergone Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (PPC 2013) Arden Barry
- Lack of Effectiveness of a Pharmacist Intervention towards Improving Medication Adherence in Patients Attending Cardiac Rehabilitation: A Randomized Controlled Trial (PPC 2012) Wasem Alsabbagh
- Alberta Health Services offers a Year 2 Pharmacy Residency program in Cardiology.
Consider joining our Cardiology PSN! At our PSNs you can communicate with CSHP members from across the country. It's a great place to ask questions and receive advice from professionals working in the field.