CSHP Pharmacy Residency Application Roadmap
Are you interested in applying for a pharmacy residency program? Comprehensive information about residency programs and the application process is available to all on cshp.ca. But evidence shows that practice and preparatory courses can boost your chances of matching with programs.1,2,3,4 That's why we've created a roadmap to help you navigate this highly competitive process. For greater understanding and practical, hands-on learning, the course offers didactic sessions and small group interaction focused on the detailed workings of residency programs and applications. The course will hone your practical skills in mock interviews, personal branding workshops, and essay reviews with individualized feedback from successful residents -- all to help you present your best self with ease and confidence.
Put your best foot forward in this exciting next step.
How it works
The program takes place virtually over two weekends ( September 11 & 12 and September 25 & 26), so you can tune in from anywhere in Canada. During the first weekend, you'll receive informative lessons from residency program experts. The second weekend will be your chance to practice your skills in workshops and mock interviews. That means you'll leave with hands-on experience, feedback on a draft CV and letter of intent, and a plethora of strategies to stand out in your application.
Please note that completing this course does not guarantee participants a residency position. Course fees give participants access to interactive workshops, practice sessions, and individualized feedback on their interviewing and writing skills. The overviews of residency programs and of their application processes are not exclusive to the Pharmacy Residency Application Roadmap paid course content.
Recommended course preparation
Free and open to all
"Making the pharmacy residency choice"
Pharmacy residency program overview
- Explain the differences between the three types of pharmacy residency programs available to prospective pharmacy residency candidates in Canada.
- Differentiate between Year 1 versus Advanced Year 2 pharmacy residency programs, to facilitate career planning.
- Recognize and assess the value of completing a pharmacy residency program.
- Identify the different types of learning activities a pharmacy resident may experience during one's residency year.
- Develop a plan to incorporate modifiable factors to make a candidate more competitive in the application process.
At the completion of the Pharmacy Residency Application Roadmap, the learner will be able to:
Pharmacy residency application process
- Explain the residency application process and navigate the Pharmacy Residency Application Management System (PRAMS) to successfully complete a residency application.
- Identify effective strategies to make one's professional curriculum vitae stand out amongst the competition.
- State the purpose and goals of a letter of intent, and compose a letter of intent for residency application.
- Approach and select appropriate individuals to write letters of reference.
- List five factors to consider in the selection process of residency programs.
- Discuss the requirements and characteristics of residency programs.
- Develop a strategy to cultivate a personal brand.
- Anticipate and compose answers to common residency interview questions in preparation for residency interviews.
- Develop interview strategies and communication skills for navigating the residency interview process for three different types of interviews.
- Demonstrate five skills to contribute to a successful interview during a mock interview session.
- Perform a mock interview and receive constructive feedback to identify areas of strength and areas of improvement.
- Utilize tips for post-interview etiquette to differentiate oneself from the other prospective pharmacy residency candidates.
- Describe an effective strategy for ranking residency programs using the PRAMs process.
- Identify the expectations and responsibilities of a pharmacy resident.
- Identify strategies to prepare for pharmacy residency life.
- Identify alternative career paths if a match is not achieved.
1. An Elective Course on Postgraduate Residency Training. Phillips et al. Am J Pharm Ed. 2012 Nov 12; 76(9): 174.
2. Using current residents to develop the guide – Resident-led Residency Preparation Series for 4th Year Pharmacy Students. Brammer et al. Innovations in pharmacy 2019, Vol 10, No. 4, Article 12.
3. Role of Residency Interview Preparatory Activities as a Determinant of Pharmacy Residency Match Rates: Caballero, J et al Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 2017. Vol 30(2) 219-222.
4. Preparation bootcamp for pharmacy residency application and interviews. Knutsen, et al. Pharmacy Education, 2018; 18(1) 1-4.