Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
WRHA Pharmacy Program
Deer Lodge Centre, N246 North Pavilion
2109 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3J 0L3
Focus: Advanced Pharmaceutical Care Practice
Established in: 1981
# Positions: 3 positions per year
App. deadline: October 14, 2022
Starting date: Generally Monday of first full week of June (negotiable, flexible)
PRAMS - (Additional PRAMS requirements to complete the Pharmacy Residency Application and Matching Service (PRAMS) application should be sent through PRAMS when applying by the application deadline):
- Attach a brief statement (250 words or less) describing your particular interest in residency training in Winnipeg. Examples might include, but are not limited to, unique aspects of our program that are well matched to your interest or experience, or your reflections based on conversation with a past WRHA residency program graduate(s) or pharmacy staff member.
Est. stipend: $33,500
Benefits: medical, dental, disability, relocation allowance, funding to attend a regional or national conference; work tools provided: Lexi-Comp subscription, Cortext secured messaging app, desktop PC, laptop, free access to WRHA Virtual Library and associated online content.
Vacation/holiday leave: 10 residency days
Education/conference leave: at least 5 residency days
Program highlights: Experience rapid professional and personal growth in one year! One year (full-time) program with easy access to multiple practice locations in a large city with affordable housing and exceptional arts/sports/social scene. Develops self-directed practitioners with advanced pharmaceutical care skills. Emphasizes "learning through experiencing" in pharmaceutical care, drug distribution, and personal practice management skills. Structured, but allows flexibility to meet resident's learning needs. Receive financial support to attend pharmacy professional education at the regional or national level. Excellent communications technology, drug info & office facilities available. Unique opportunity to participate in two research projects in a split project rotation design with ample support from preceptors and project support committee.
Minimum required credentials: Canadian citizens/landed immigrants with pharmacy degree from a recognized College; eligible for licensure in Manitoba. Must meet immunization requirements, obtain a criminal records check, child abuse registry check, adult abuse registry check with vulnerable sector consent and be a member of CSHP. Must obtain Manitoba pharmacist license within 6 months of commencing program.
- Drug Information (2-4 weeks; regional DI centre)
- Medication Use Systems Orientation (1-2 weeks; multi-sited)
- Internal Medicine (7-8 weeks; tertiary site)
- one of Ambulatory Care or Critical Care (4 weeks; community and tertiary sites available)
- Clinical Practice Capstone (3-4 weeks; multiple sites available)
- Project (8 weeks split into 2 rotations; site options vary by project)
- Preceptorship (2-3 weeks)
- Pharmacy Administration (1-2 weeks; multi-sited)
Available weeks ~15 (3-4 rotations).
Rotations (number of sites available):
- adult med/surg ICU (4)
- neonatal/pediatric ICU (2)
- Renal Health or Dialysis (3)
- Infectious Diseases (1)
- Hematologic Malignancy and Cell Transplantation (1)
- Family Medicine (1)
- Transplantation (1)
- Orthopedic Surgery (1)
- Primary Care/ Emergency (6)
- HIV Ambulatory Care (1)
- Infectious Disease Ambulatory Care (Community IV Program) (1)
(Any required rotation can be repeated as an elective (# sites as above). Opportunity to build new rotations to meet learning needs).
Type: Region; 1 tertiary care hospital (home site) with rotations available at 1 acute and 3 lower acuity hospitals, 3 complex/chronic care facilities, multiple community sector locations
Number of beds: 2000
Sites: Health Sciences Centre Winnipeg (home base); other sites each offer rotations totaling less than 60 days per academic year per resident: Concordia, Victoria General, Seven Oaks General & Grace Hospital, Deer Lodge Centre, Misericordia & Riverview Health Centre, plus WRHA-affiliated sites at primary care Access Centres, & Nine Circles Health Centre.
Jenna Estaban Villarba